Pages

Come Meet My Family!

I've taken a significant break from regular posting here on the blog but now that we have gotten into a new rhythm with school and work, I thought now would be as good a time as any to get back to sharing our adventures with you!

To begin, I realized that I haven't done a proper introduction to our family. In order to understand where I am coming from with the information that I'm going to be sharing, I figured it is important to know a little bit more about who we are.


L taking a break at Disney World

This is our oldest, L. He has been around the world and back again with us. His first domestic trip was when he was six weeks old and we flew to San Diego, California for Thanksgiving. He made his first international trip when he was ten months old when we visited Bangkok, Thailand. He is always busy and very curious. He loves to learn about new places and he is always trying to figure out how things work. If we haven't been on a trip in awhile, he starts to get antsy and constantly asks us when we will be traveling again and where we will be going. This has changed a little bit now that he has started school. He still loves to travel but he always requests that we make it home early enough to make it to school.

R smelling the flowers at the Ashton Gardens in Utah
R is our middle child. She is full of spunk and personality. I tried to find a recent picture of her where you could see her face but this one showed her personality perfectly. She is a princess at heart and loves to twirl and wear pretty dresses. At the same time, she isn't afraid to get down and play in the dirt (which is where we often find her at parks). Her first domestic trip was when she was six weeks old and we went to Oregon to visit family. Her first international trip was when she was four months old when we visited Cabo San Lucas in Mexico.

Baby A playing with rocks in San Diego, CA
Next is our little A. She started her travel adventures later in life than her brother and sister did but that hasn't slowed her down. Her fist domestic trip was actually a little two hour road trip from where we were living in Virginia out to a resort on the Chesapeake Bay in Maryland when she was two months old. Her first domestic flight was to Orlando when she was almost six months old and her first international trip was to Chile when she was eleven months old. She is an expressive little girl who isn't afraid to speak her mind. She is always running to keep up with her big brother and sister and frankly, she does a great job!

S and Baby A (when she was a baby) at a market in Santiago, Chile
My husband, S, is the mastermind behind most of our travels. Back in the day, before we had kids, we were both really into couponing. Nothing too extreme but we may have had a stash of shampoo that lasted us four years... One summer we were in Washington D.C. for an externship when L was just a baby, S learned about what some people call "travel hacking". We had always loved to travel but we had to work a little harder and stay at some sketchy places while we were on student budgets. Once we had kids, we didn't feel comfortable staying at places like the scary Rodeway Inn by the Buffalo airport (a story for another time). The things he learned that summer about collecting airline miles and hotel points have enabled us to keep our travel habit going. I'm sure we would have found ways to travel with our kids even without the points and miles but they have allowed us to visit some amazing destinations and really feel as if the world is our oyster.

Erica in Denver, Colorado

My name is Erica and my first international trip was when I was when I was 23 and S and I did the Jet Blue All You Can Jet Pass. We did a number of domestic trips with that pass but we were also able to spend some time in Mexico and we were fortunate enough to spend 24 hours in Aruba. In our family, I'm the one who takes care of most of the little detail things that have to happen between booking and actually enjoying a trip. I pack, research, and get us to the airport on time (for the most part). I sometimes deal with anxiety which can make travel even more of an adventure but I haven't let it keep me from getting out and exploring the world with my family. I have a lot of experience when it comes to travel with young kids and I can't wait to share it with you!

If you ever have any questions about how to travel with kids, what type of destination might be the best for your next family vacation, or anything else travel related, please feel free to shoot me an email or leave a comment here on the blog!


Erica

Hi, my name is Erica! After having three kids in three years you can usually find me in yoga pants with dark circles under my eyes and a Diet Dr. Pepper in hand. If you ever see me at the airport, I'm probably running around with a kid on my back in the Ergo while pushing another in the stroller. At times our house feels crazy and chaotic and I often struggle to keep dirty dishes out of the sink.

My friends all know that I'm the one they can turn to if they have any questions about traveling with their kids and I LOVE being that person!

There are a lot of things I want to do with my life but one of my favorite things is to help people find the courage and resources to make their travel dreams come true. I am super excited to have you along for our adventures and I hope you will come to think of me as your travel savvy friend because there is nothing I would love more!

No comments:

Post a Comment